Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 02:58:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@freebsd.org, rkw@dataplex.net, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> >> This assumes an infinitely high-speed server or a small number of
> >> clients.
>
> >You run out of ethernet before you run out of CPU power on anything
> >faster than a DX4/100 with 32MB of memory doing sup services.  A
> >Pentium 100 can keep a 100Mb/s pipe clear full of sup with 64Mb of
> >memory.  I would call that very very far from ``infinitely high-speed''
> >and actually falls into the mid-range systems for me.
>
> I thought that the CPU ran out of power before the pipe was half full,
> even doing raw data movement for nfs.

I have done iozones over NFS on 100BaseTx networking and seen numbers
well in excess of 3MBytes/s reading (forget about writting, we all
know sync nfs is dog slow at that).

> For sup it will have to traverse
> file systems so it will be hard to get more than 1MB of throughput per
> file system.

File system bandwidth is not a problem.  Again, I can produce iozone
results in excess of 6MB/sec quite easily on local fast disks.

>How much throughput can you get through sup?

That is one I have not measures.

> Is it as fast as cvs co ;-).

A _LOT_ faster when you are talking about the two running over local
ethernet.  NFS gets in the way a bit.  Sup is slow over long RTT links
due to the 2 RTT needed for many of the things it does, it is blazing
fast on local networks (and smokes on 100Mb/s networks :-)).

I can probably sup a src tree via localhost faster than I could cvs co
the same one if you wanted to test this out on a local machine.  cvs co
is slow due to all the . lock files that go on, sup is fast as it reads
an index file and starts pumping data.

> When did FreeFall get a 100 Mb/s pipe?

It didn't, I have 100BaseTX here, hub and all....  NFS diskless is about
to become real for me again :-)  And the server is on a UPS with very