Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 18:15:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@slip.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic title in XTerm bound to F8 (fwd)

> I don't understand why this should interest the ISPs, so I'm replying
> only to -questions.

Greg,

Thanks for the help.  I've been 'banging my head against a brick wall'
trying to figure this out.  I finally did figure out a solution shortly
after submitting my request for help.

The reason I think ISP's might be interested is if they manage more than
one box using XFree86 and xterm.  It can be quite convent to just hit 1
single key to update the xterm title to the hostname of the box they are
currently working on, especially if they need to minimize more than one
xterm (ie, if you're changing DNS entries on more than one DNS server).

The solution is:

~/.Xdefaults:
xterm*VT100.translations: #override\
	None<key>F8: string("echo \\"^V^[]0;`hostname`^V^G\\"") \
	string(0x0d) \n\

In the above string, "^V^[" is produced with the following key sequence in
vi "ctrl-v ctrl-v ctrl-v esc" and "^G" is produced with "ctrl-v ctrl-g".
The \\ correctly escapes the inside set of double quotes.  NOTE:  I've
only tried this with csh and derivatives (ie, tcsh) on both ends.

NOTE:  For whoever's interested, in the command above, 0 specifies the
regular title and the minimized title; 2 will change only the regular
title and 1 will change only the minimized title.

I verified this works by ssh'ing into several remote accounts and pressing
F8.  It did what I wanted it to do.

-burton-