Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2020 23:42:33 +0100
From:      Vincenzo Maffione <vmaffione@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Olivier_Cochard=2DLabb=C3=A9?= <olivier@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rajesh Kumar <rajfbsd@gmail.com>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netmap Library not getting installed on custom kernel installation

Il giorno gio 17 dic 2020 alle ore 15:18 Olivier Cochard-Labb=C3=A9 <
olivier@freebsd.org> ha scritto:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 9:53 PM Vincenzo Maffione <vmaffione@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On a side note, the netmap tools (pkt-gen, bridge, lb, etc.) should real=
ly
>> be a port. Another TODO item.
>>

> There is already one port for an old version of pkt-gen:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/net/pkt-gen/
>
> Thanks. I would however prefer to have a "netmap-tools" port, so that you
get all the basic applications at once. They are actually just 4-5, so it
is worth avoiding multiple ports.

And here is a custom port's patch to upgrade this port to a not-so-old
> version including a quick&dirty range bug fix (cleaner version
> fresh-from-today official netmap github), and adding a new option to
> prevent doing software IP & UDP checksum by default (because it consumes =
> lot of ressource on 40G or 100G NIC and Chelsio NIC are able to do hardwa=
re
> checksum in netmap mode):
>
> https://github.com/ocochard/BSDRP/blob/master/BSDRP/patches/ports.pkt-gen=
.patch

> I see. That should be pushed on the github (and then reflected on the src
tree).
The current netmap tools that live in tools/tools/netmap are actually
aligned with the github.

Thanks,
  Vincenzo