Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 12:31:42 -0400
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: setting up IP aliases in rc.conf

On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 12:28 , Steve Fettig wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Chad,
> I was never able to go beyond one alias myself following the same
> directions
> you have...  But, I do know that I couldn't get alias1 to work, so I
> used
> the command:
> Ifconfig_xl0_alias0="inet 192.168.14.5  netmask 255.255.255.0"

Hi

I'll try starting with alias0

>                  ^^^
> I think you also have a mistake in your netmask on alias1 - no subnet
> mask
> should be 255.255.255.255 if you are configuring an IP on a nic - it
> should
> be 255.255.255.0 if you are on the same subnet as the first ip.  It may
> be
> stopping at alias1 and not going further because of this (*if* this is a
> true copy of what you have in your rc.conf file).  Anyone with ideas as
> why more aliases than one might not be working, would be much
> appreciated
> help on my end.

Actually the netmask is supposed to be 255.255.255.255 for all IPs in a
given subnet except the first one.  This is explicitly spelled out in
teh handbook and was also a subject of a few emails to -question
yesterday or the day before.

Thanks!  I'll make the alias change and try again

Chad