Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:38:24 -0700
From:      Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARC size constantly shrinks, then ZFS slows down extremely

With the patch, if vfs.zfs.arc_min is set high enough, the system locks up.

On a box with 8G or RAM I had arc_min=3D6G and arc_max=3D7G. Once ARC grew
to ~5.8G as reported by kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size, number of wired
pages grew to ~7400MB and the processes got stuck in 'vmwait' state. I
had to reboot in order to recover.

On one hand setting arc_min can be considered a pilot error. On the
other, it may be a good idea to allow system to reclaim memory from
ARC even if ARC is smaller than arc_min if the system really really
needs it. The question is how to define "really needs it".

On a side note, it appears that wired page count tends to be
substantially larger than ARC size. I.e. in my case if ARC size grows
to 6G, wired page count is about 1.5G bigger. Perhaps we should allow
reclaiming memory

--Artem

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 09:59:03AM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
>> Backing out this change from the 8-STABLE kernel:
>> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts=
/common/fs/zfs/arc.c?r1=3D191901&r2=3D191902