Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:48:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

> I have your scheme commit-ready now. It looks like we'll have too merge
> in this as well.

Actually, I'd like to also submit a patch for 'passwd' that reads
something like /etc/passwd.conf for a 'preference', where the file simply
contains 'best' 'DES' or a $x$ prefix.  If it is 'best' it'll use the
best/latest algorithm, DES is obvious, otherwise it just prefixes the
'$x$' string in the file to the salt.  I'd like this because for me, I
have many older DES passwords from upgrades, and I'd like to migrate to
better passwords but right now if DES exists as an option, it is always
given encryption preference in 'passwd'..

-Brandon Gillespie