Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:58:27 -0700
From:      Ravi Pokala <rpokala@mac.com>
To:        "karu.pruun" <karu.pruun@gmail.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem attaching driver at LPC bus

-----Original Message-----
From: "karu.pruun" <karu.pruun@gmail.com>
Date: 2016-08-24, Wednesday at 00:49
To: Ravi Pokala <rpokala@mac.com>
Cc: Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>

> Hi Ravi
>
> Thanks for these suggestions. I'll study the spec and try implement this. Question: the XXX_base in bus_set_resource --- did you find this address from the spec? I suppose in my case this is the one I see in the acpi tables, 0x0700.

Yes, I got them from the specs. For the embedded controller, the chipset spec defined which registers in the bridge to look at, which held the LPC address of the embedded GPIO controller. For the discrete controller, the controller spec documented a default and an alternate LPC address, and the BIOS developers told us which one they used.

> Another question: on my naive thinking, the acpi subsystem scans the acpi tables and populates the entries in the device tree, setting aside the address ranges (IO and mem) for which there is no driver. The handle items in the tree (e.g. \_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.GMUX) look very similar to the ones in the acpi tables. So I thought the driver then later claims these resource using the bus_alloc_resource(). Does this sound like anything that is actually happening?

I know almost nothing about ACPI, so I'll leave that someone who knows more about it than I do. :-)

> Thanks again
>
> Peeter

Glad to help.

-Ravi (rpokala@)