Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:01:42 -0800
From:      Josh Franta <josh@franta.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        felipe@felipe.maledet.to, idaraid@seeberg.dk
Subject:   4.7-release, compaq smart array 3200 & SMP

I've been having problems getting a 4.7-release SMP kernel to work properly on
compaq 1850Rs w/smart array controllers (firmware 1.4 rev a).  The generic (non-SMP)
kernel boots a logical drive on the same controller w/no problem.
When I enable SMP, recompile and boot, everything seems to work
fine (finds processors, no errors in bootup) except that the kernel
hangs when trying to mount the drive:

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/idad0s1a

I've tried this on two identitical compaq 1850Rs w/the same result.
I've upgraded the BIOS on each machine, set the OS type to unixware
7, disabling IDE support both in the kernel and the BIOS... all
producing the same result.  I've found people w/similiar problems
on list archives,etc but all of them were using the old smart array
driver from freebsd3.4 and previous.  The only recent similiar
report I can find is this bug report for freebsd-4.4:

which provides almost the exact same error w/ similiar hardware
(proliant 1600 w/smart array 221).  this was submitted over a year ago.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of other things to
try, or if there is a patch in current that I should be testing,
or someone can tell me what debugging steps I can perform to move
this problem along... any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-j