Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 21:39:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Alex Ardalich <alex@pacer.dyndns.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ISDN Connection Problems

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Alex Ardalich wrote:

> This is my first attept at doing isdn on *nix.

It is a good idea, with a new I4B installation that you don't trust, to
set up the answerphone first: this takes much less configuration than
setting up PPP (and importantly, doesn't require knowledge about how the
other end is set up).  If you can make a voice call into the answerphone
from a normal phone and hear it talking to you, then you know at least
that the hardware and local ISDN configuration is working OK.

> ppp.log shows the following
>
> Nov 19 12:18:14 ns2 ppp[126]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Connect time: 18 secs: 0 octets in, 175 octets out
> Nov 19 12:18:14 ns2 ppp[126]: tun0: Phase: deflink: 0 packets in, 5 packets out
>
> >From what I can gather, it looks to be failing at the authentication part?

No, the two lines that I have quoted above (and all the other stuff, more
verbosely), show that your end is sending PPP protocol but getting no
reply at all from the other end.  It never gets LCP running, so it doesn't
get as far as trying to authenticate.

You would get this if the machine you are calling does not expect PPP over
HDLC as the protocol - some ISPs have different phone numbers for
different protocols, for example.  Various fault conditions at your end
could also cause it, but this is hard to tell.

I would recommend setting up the answerphone to check that your local
system is working OK; check details of the system you are calling, and get
some logging from isdnd (either transcribing from the screen, or put
something suitable in syslog.conf such as:

!isdnd
*.*                                             /var/log/isdnd.log