Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:48:34 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [nickm@t-online.de: WAN Adapters with FreeBSD Driver Support]

We appear to have at least one vendor beating down our door asking
for a branding program for hardware.  I guess I'd better get that web
page up and running pretty quick, huh?

Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Nick Maddicks <nickm@t-online.de> -----
> To: <www@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: WAN Adapters with FreeBSD Driver Support
> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:07:55 +0200
>
> Dear Webmaster,
>
> Many of our customers have expressed the view that while information on
> FreeBSD software is relatively easy to find on the Web they still have
> very real problems finding information about which hardware is available
> with FreeBSD driver support, particularly when it comes to connectivity
> products.
>
> Consequently, we have investigated their claims and indeed concluded that
> looking for connectivity (I/O) products is a little like "looking for a
> needle in a haystack". In fact we can't help feeling this state of affairs
> must act as a deterrent for some prospective FreeBSD users.
>
> When visiting your site we were delighted, and more than somewhat heartened,
> to see that someone was at least trying to provide the help FreeBSD users so
> desperately need.
>
> We therefore ask you to help us to "spread the word" about the commercial
> viability of FreeBSD by including links to our main website at
> http://www.adcomtec.com and our partner website at http://www.lanmedia.com
> or by including our products in your Hardware section.
>
> For your reference, ADCOMTEC is the combined European Business Center for
> LAN Media Corporation (LMC). ADCOMTEC specializes in providing high-
> performance, advanced communications and networking solutions for CompactPCI,
> PCI, and PMC based applications. FreeBSD driver support is provided for a
> range of high-performance adapters providing connectivity Synchronous Serial,
> T1/E1, DS3/T3, and HSSI.

[Details of hardware elided for brevity.]

Wolfram, we've had a project for something like this hanging around since
last November.  I'll try to step up the pace a little.  Please let your
contact know that I'll be in touch with him within a couple of days.