Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:56:54 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Lewis Watson <lists@visionsix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Production Machine, Custom Kernel, Updating to P9

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 02:29:23PM -0600, Lewis Watson wrote:
> Hello list members,
> First, please direct me to a more suitable list if this is too OT. I am
> running a few FreeBSD machines in a small isp environment. I want to
> upgrade from release 4.7-p7 to release 4.7-p9 on a machine with a
> customized kernel that is *in production* and am hoping that those of you
> more experienced with FreeBSD can give me some advise to keep this machine
> solid.
>
> In my limited past I have went the route of install OS from cd; cvsup with
> RELENG_4_7 all the way to make installworld and then once the OS was
> updated I would customize my kernel. So now I want to update to 4.7-p9 and
> I have a customized kernel and am not sure what is the best way to
> proceed.
>
> I have read /usr/src/UPDATING and the handbook regarding rebuilding the
> kernel after syncing the src. It looks as if I have two paths. 1) Rebuild
> with my custom kernel or 2) rebuild with a generic kernel and then rebuild
> a custom kernel later. I would prefer to go with my custom kernel but am
> afraid that something may break; which in turns makes me want to go with
> GENERIC... but then.....
>
> I have googled this in various ways and found an article where make
> buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC  would stop with an error in his case. So
> before I hose my system I am hoping that the more experienced list members
> in the isp environment who understand my situation could share their past
> experiences...
> Thank you,
> Lewis

Here is in short form what I do in production machines:

cvsup (RELENG_4 or RELENG_4_7 depending what it runs)
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=<customkernelname>
make installkernel KERNCON=<customkernelname>
make installworld
mergemaster

I am doing it all the time, even on machines remotely, with no consoles.
Depending on large of an upgrade, the mergemaster is very important. I
always never use the GENERIC kernel after the first initial install.

--
Regards, Ulf.