Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 97 19:54:21 EDT
From:      ShieYuan Wang <shieyuan@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP is slower when two processors are enabled

Hi,

I am using SMP 3.0 with a two Pentium-Pro motherboard. I found that SMP
does not give me speedup at all when I enable two processors at the same
time. My system even becomes only 1/3 of its throughput when there is only
one processor enabled.

I am uisng "stcp" and "rtcp" to test how fast my system can use TCP/IP
protocol stack to transfer unlimited data on the same local host. If I
only enable one processor, the throughput can be 35 MB/sec. However if
I enable the other processor hoping to get better throughput, I only get
12 MB/sec.

I know that locking overhead between multiple processors may be a lot. But
I never thought that it could be so high. Could anyone give me some clues
about this bad performance? My SMP 3.0 was installed about 6 months ago.
Does the more recent SMP have better performance and have solved the
performance problem? Your suggestion will be highly appriciated.

Shie-Yuan Wang
CS Ph.D. student. Harvard University