Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:45:25 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I still can't get my net install to work from CDrom

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 05:48:24PM -0700, jim flournoy wrote:

> > Ah, okay.  You're trying to install from a private
> > server.  Look in
> > the transfer logs for ftpd on that server to see
> > what pathname it's
> > trying to access.  It's probably going to be
> > something like
> > /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.3-RELEASE/
>=20
> Thanks for the post Kris, but I'm not sure where to
> find these transfer logs or what to do with them.  I'm
> pretty sure that ftp is up on port 21, but I don't
> think there is any sort of /pub directory.  My
> understanding was that it could read the image off the
> cdrom drive.  The data server is a basic 'user' class
> installation.  Here is the contents of my /var/log

Are you trying to use anonymous FTP, or are you logging in as a user?
Try logging in from an FTP client to make sure it works.

IIRC, there is an option in sysinstall to tell it which directory on
the server to use.  There are also options for username and password
if you're not using anonftp.  If you think you're doing all this
already, tell us EXACTLY what settings you're customizing in
sysinstall so we don't have to keep guessing :-)

Kris

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c--