Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:40:10 GMT
From:      Scott Mitchell <rsm@acm.org>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@clicknet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about GNU emacs.

Sean J. Schluntz said:
>I'm looking for someone who has the setup files needed to get emacs
>(when running under X) to colorize code as you are typing. I know v19
>comes with the capability but unforatunatly I don't have a priner handy
>to look through the docs.
>
>I'm looking for the setup files that will colorize C, sh, and HTML code.
>
>Thanks for your help!
>
>- -Sean

I think someone already mentioned the hilit19 mode in Emacs.  However, I
would suggest moving to XEmacs -- I personally find it much easier to use
than GNU Emacs -- and using font-lock mode.  This will colorise just about
anything.  It might even work under recent versions of GNU Emacs, you'll
have to try it and see.

My .emacs has the following:

(setq font-lock-auto-fontify t)
(setq font-lock-use-colors t)
(setq font-lock-use-fonts nil)
(setq font-lock-use-maximal-decoration t)
(require 'font-lock)

Which loads font-lock mode and has it automatically colorise any buffer it
knows how to deal with.

HTH,

	Scott