Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:16:08 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New problem with <ARCHIVE VIPER 2525 25462 -007> under -current

As Matthew Jacob wrote:

> The write is in variable mode (of all things>. It needs to be in fixed
> block mode.

Hmm, weird.  I thought everything >= QIC 320 would grok variable mode?
Apparently not.

>  (which, IIRC, isn't really variable in that it still has
> to be modulo 512).

At least for the Tandbergs, it's truely variable.  There even seems to
be a variable-mode standard for QIC-150, but it's a waste of space
(IIRC they're writing another full 512-bytes block per each 512 bytes
in order to record variable-length information).  Everything >= 320 is
documented to allow `true variable' mode there, albeit it will be
sliced in blocks of no more than 1024 bytes on the tape.

--
cheers, J"org