Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 07:59:30 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replacing MS Exchange?

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:29:50 +0200
> From: Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
>
> On 2002-05-23 09:10:48, Mark Smith <msmith@beta.tricity.wsu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> > I'm looking to replace an MS Exchange server for a small company.
>
> Good plan!
>
> > It only does internal mail and the mail client is MS Outlook 97.  I want to,
> > more or less, transparently to the end user, rip out the MS Exchange server
> > and drop in a FreeBSD IMAP and LDAP server.  This needs to support the usual
> > shared task lists, shared folders and shared contact lists along with email
> > address books.
>
> That would be the way to do it.  I've set up numerous solutions like that.  I
> use Cyrus IMAP, OpenLDAP and Postfix.  My users generally use Evolution as
> their mail-clients.  That will sort you out on the mail and the address lists.
> As far as task lists go: I usually work for companies where those things are
> written in-house.  I'm sure you could use a database though, and somehow
> convince it to talk to the users.
>
> Migrating might be a bit of a pain in the neck, especially if you want to do
> it 'transparently' as you say.  Exchange stores data in two *huge* files, of
> which I still haven't figured out the format.  I suggest you configure your
> clients such, that they store the mail locally while you migrate.  Or, you set
> up an Exchange IMAP server, and 'replicate' the mailboxes on a real IMAP
> server.
>
> > Yes, I've been searching already but most of the info I've found has been
> > either so generic as to be useless or religous wars.
>
> Indeed.
>
>  - Philip

Since Exchange has various proprietary hooks into the MS mail
clients, should probably see if they're horribly attached to those
first.  If so, I am told that "HP Open Mail" is almost a drop-in
replacement for Exchange, although it's not open-source. (I believe a
Korean company has taken over support of it.. Samsung?)

HTH,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium