Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:00:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Allan Ross <allanr@ssimicro.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X from the server

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Allan Ross wrote:

> So we have convinced the local library that there is hope for their old
> 486 systems. They have received several of these from a program called
> "Computers for Schools". What we have suggested is connecting these to a
> central server and run FreeBSD on all of them. This would allow all of
> these clients to run Netscape from the server in an x window. There is
> an old P-166 available to run as a server. Anyone have any real world
> experience playing with this? What kind of performance can we expect? At
> what point will this be unworkable? 3 workstations? 4?

You didn't really describe the 486s :), there's a big difference between
a 486/33 and a 486/120, however I'm pretty sure that my college had
an old lab running freebsd on 486's, afaik they were 66mhz and were
able to run Netscape by themselves pretty ok.

You may want to try to grab an older version of netscape though, afaik
3.x takes a lot less resources.  It also depends on the type of NICs
you have, I'm assuming they are 10bT, netscape over 10bT on a shared
segment can be _quite_ an experiance...

-Alfred