Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:45:29 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NMBCLUSTERS question

In the last episode (Jan 15), Joe Abley said:
> Every now and then the machine seems to drop off the net for a
> little while, and the kernel spits out lots of these:
>
>   fxp0: cluster allocation failed, packet dropped!
>   m_clalloc failed, consider increase NMBCLUSTERS value
>
> I don't have an NMBCLUSTERS option set in my kernel conf file. I
> see LINT says:
>
>   # Set the size of the mbuf KVM reservation, in clusters.  This is scaled
>   # by approximately 2048 bytes.  The system will auto-size the mbuf area
>   # if this options is not specified or set to 0.
>   #
>   options         NMBCLUSTERS=1024
>
> Does this auto-sizing not work if interfaces are busy? Any
> advice as to what I might set NMBCLUSTERS to?

"auto-sizing" is a misnomer here.  If no value is specified, it is
generated from maxusers.  It's a constant after that.  You actually
don't have to rebuild the kernel to override this; you can set it in
/boot/loader.conf, and reboot:

kern.ipc.nmbclusters=""   # Set the number of mbuf clusters

Your current max is 2048; try going to 3072 or 4096.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com