Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:30:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com (Snob Art Genre)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Commercial Applications??

Snob Art Genre writes:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Oh.  I thought this was a good compromise between "Linux-bashing" and
>> introducing as succinctly as possible what the book was all about.
>> Some of the alternatives I heard were rather radical, and I didn't
>> think that was appropriate.  If anybody has a different suggestion
>> about how to attract the attention of a half-disinterested browser in
>> a bookshop, I'd appreciate it, and I know Walnut Creek would too.
>>

> Most browsers will be completely disinterested;

Sure, that's why I restricted the target to half-disinterested
browsers.

> however, you might get the attention of an *un*interested browser by
> claiming to have the most extensively beat-upon networking code in
> existence . . . that *is* true, isn't it?  :)

It's true, but how do you sum that up in a couple of buzzwords?

> I think a problem is that John Q. Public doesn't know why Berkeley
> is a name to trust.

Sure.  That's just the point I'm trying to make.  Mention Linux and
you're more likely to catch his attention.  *Then* you can show him
why FreeBSD is so much better.

Greg