Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:41:12 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best common practice to handle variable provider names ?

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like some advice on the following issue.
>
> If i add some geom modules on my disks, the "device names" to be used
> in /etc/fstab change accordingly to which nodes are present.
>
> Is there a way to hide these changes so that /etc/fstab always
> (within reasonable) has the same entries no matter what geom nodes
> I am using ?

you could try using labels, I believe others have used them with some
success although it sound like you may be doing more complex stuff than
others i've seen using them.
I have one mounted in my fstab:
/dev/ufs/SCRATCH                /usr/scratch    ufs     rw,noatime      2 2

which works for me (label was added using tunefs.)
have a look at glabel(8) too see it it could do what you need.

Vince