Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 03:44:50 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
Cc:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLANG enthusiasts?

> > How about I learn how to make a port?  Jed's my editor of choice as well,
> > and I already have it installed, but I never made a port out of it.  And
> > I've been meaning to upgrade to the latest version of Jed anyway.
>
> We could always make it a joint effort??? This might be the way to go
> since I've already started. It doesn't look like there will need to
> be much modification of code - just make file madness (as I call it
> :->).
>
> Reply to me personally if you want to work something out.

FWIW, I tried porting it some time ago. The X version worked 100%
fine in all respects, but I had some problems with the tty version,
even after tweaking.  The problems resulted in non-optimal display
updating and sometimes miscoloration and invalid character inserts
and deletes messing up the display.

Now, it worked just fine with a vt100, but not for cons25. I never
did track down the problem, but it may have been a special case
problem with the cons25 termcap entry, probably buried deep within
slang's screen manager and buried down yet another level into
libmyterminfo. I never resolved it, so this problem was the only
reason I didn't make it a port at the time.

It may be that the problem got fixed in a later version of slang -
there have been at least 2 slang updates since.

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/