Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 13:21:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Barry Perryman <perryman@sun001.sil.com>
To:        John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: mt grief?

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, John Utz wrote:
> me again!
>
> 	in a rare fit of prior planning, i actually backed up my tarfiles
> onto a scsi tape. Unfortuneately, i seem to be unable to read it! bummer!
>
> 128: {42} tar -xv
> st0: not ready
> tar: can't open /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
> 128: {43} mt rewind
> st0: not ready
> mt: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error
>
> here is dmesg:
> nca0 at 0x1f88-0x1f8b irq 10 on isa
> nca0: type ProAudioSpectrum-16
> nca0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
> (nca0:4:0): "  " type 1 removable SCSI 1
> st0(nca0:4:0): Sequential-Access drive offline

hi,

I had the same problem when I tried to install FreeBSD 2.0R with my
archive viper.  I found that if I had the tape locked in the drive at
bootup then I would get the same sort of error, st0 not ready, but it was
fine if I booted up without the tape in the drive.

I think that you can get round it by removing the tape and then typing:

mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind

You will get an error out of this but I seem to remember it resetting my
tape drive.

HTH

Barry