Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 09:03:36 -0400
From:      Mark Cornick <mcornick@zorak.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   QuickCam/2.2.1-RELEASE

First, a big hi-five to the guys (and gals?) of the FreeBSD team on
2.2.1-RELEASE - I've been following FreeBSD since 2.0.something, but
this is the release that finally convinced me to nuke Linux on my home
box in favor of FreeBSD. (OK, so I've still got Linux on another disk,
but you get the picture.)

I'm looking for some help with the QuickCam driver. I have a greyscale
QuickCam, attached to my secondary printer port (0x278). I have lpt1
enabled in the kernel, and I have qcam0 as:
  device qcam0 at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty conflicts flags 1
(trying to remember this - the box is at home, I'm at work. LINT had
"tty", qcam(4) had "conflicts", and I had to add "flags 1" to get it
to probe right.) When I boot with this kernel, qcam0 is detected at
0x278 according to dmesg. So far so good. However, when I try to load
the LKM with /usr/bin/qcam, I get "probe failed". I tried running
xqcam and qcamcontrol from the qcamdriver-1.1.tar.gz archive with no
interesting results.

Now, maybe I haven't got things set up exactly right - the
documentation on QuickCams and FreeBSD is pretty sparse. I did notice
this: /lkm/qcam_mod.o has a date of April 1 (the build date of the
GENERIC stuff, I guess?) The last kernel I built (with "make depend;
make; make install" was last night, May 12. Is this significant? Is
there another "make" I have to do to build the LKMs (like "make
modules" in Linux, maybe?) Or do I need to rebuild the LKMs at all?

I'd appreciate any pointers anyone could give on this. Basically it's
the last piece of hardware from my Linux setup that isn't working
yet... not crucial, but it'd be nice :)

--
Mark Cornick / HSTX/NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Code 922
mcornick@zorak.gsfc.nasa.gov