Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 00:15:06 -0400
From:      gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: apache_0.8.13 (was Re: msql)

 +---
 | I like being one-upped that way.  I didn't know about apache 'til you
 | mentioned it.  Do you know how it compares with other web servers?
 +---

The best place for information on apache is (yes, you guessed it):

	http://www.apache.org/

The goal behind apache, amongst other things, is to have a freely
available HTTPD, with no licensing restrictions (as the NCSA have
hinted they might do).  Aside from that, it has some nice features
(DBM user databases, an intelligent "pre-forking" strategy, API,
customizable log file module, virtual hosting, etc).  I'd recommend it
over just about any other UNIX (or non-UNIX based server for that
matter) web server...unless you need "secure" transactions.

Another good source of Apache information is the
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix USENET group.  If you have any
questions about it, I'll do what I can to answer them.  We've been
using Apache for many of our web sites for a few months now.

							--Gene

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com
Objective Consulting, Inc.                    http://www.spiders.com/