Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:21:24 -0700
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem enabling ESS sound card with PCI<->PCMCIA adaptor

In The Beginning, I had a Lucent Orinoco PCI<->PCMCIA (for a "wi" device)
installed in my PC running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE.  God (Warner Losh) had told
me to put
	hw.pcic.ignore_function_1=1
in my "/boot/loader.conf" file, to stop the kernel from hanging.
And It Was Good:
	pccard: card inserted, slot 0
	wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
	wi0: 802.11 address: 00:60:1d:f1:36:3e
	wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
	wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station 7.52.01

But then, I decided that wanted to also enable my PC's sound card: an ESS
Allegro.  I tried adding
	snd_maestro3_load="YES"
to my "/boot/loader.conf",  but this wedged the kernel.  (Ditto if I
instead ran
	kldload snd_maestro3
at runtime.)

Andy Sparrow then suggested that I *also* add
	hw.pcic.intr_path=1
	hw.pcic.irq=0
to my "/boot/loader.conf".  This succeeded in letting me enable the ESS
sound card
	pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0x1000-0x10ff irq 5 at device 13.0
on pci0
without hanging the kernel.  However, this had the unfortunate side effect
of preventing my "wi0" device from getting enabled:
	pccard: card inserted, slot 0
	wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 13 slot 0 on pccard0
	pcic0: Hardware does not support irq 13.
	wi0: bus_setup_intr() failed! (22)
	device_probe_and_attach: wi0 attach returned 22

My "/etc/pccard.conf" file contained
	irq     13
So I tried changing this to other free IRQs instead.  However, all other
free IRQs had the same effect, except that "irq 9" *almost* worked:
	wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 9 slot 0 on pccard0
	wi0: 802.11 address: 00:60:1d:f1:36:3e
	wi0: using Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE
	wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station 7.52.01
	wi0: watchdog timeout
	[repeated several times]
So, in this case, the "wi0" device got enabled, but the "watchdog timeout"s
made it unusable.

So, any ideas for what I can do to make both my "wi0" device, and my ESS
sound card, work??

	Ross.