Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:25:34 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Year 2000

Chad R. Larson wrote:

> The computer industry seems to have shortened "Year 2000" to "Y2K".
> Isn't that the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the
> first place?

While  we are on the subject, as I understand it, UNIX has a year 2038
problem coming up.  After we get through the Y2K hurdle, shouldn't we
start to seriously tackle the year 2038 problem?  I know it seems a
long way off, but then 2000 seemed a long way off in 1960.

Just wondering if the internet will face serious problems in 2038
because of all the `old' unix software still running it.

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu

Phone (573) 882 4540