Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:37:32 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

In <200006201954.MAA88510@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     The kernel will always be buildable.  It should be stable enough to
>     last for 5 minutes.  But there are going to be a lot of legacy issues
>     that need to be fixed -- drivers that get broken.  What will probably
>     happen is that a base system with only core features enabled (disk,
>     serial, console, network) will always be more stable during the mergework
>     then a system with the kitchen sink in.  A system with the kitchen
>     sink in may not even compile!

Please give us a list of devices in your development machine.  I'm
certainly willing to build a similar machine to walk in your
footsteps.

Another suggestion: It would be very useful is to keep stability on
the kernel->userland API for the transition period.  That means, if
-current becomes unstable from Jul, 1th until the end of August, I'd
like to be able to live with an userland from Jun, 30th for all the
then-current kernels.

Modulo ps/top, which I can rebuild on demand, but - if possible - no
problems with essential system-near tools like mount and fsck.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/