Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 22:26:25 -0600
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryant@home.com>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0-current and Fat32---HELP!

Gregory Bond wrote:

> 2.2.7 now supports FAT32, if that's any easier than a full
> reinstall...
> --
> Gregory Bond
> ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne, Australia

Hi Gregory.. I did read the RELNOTES for 2.2.7 and saw that it did
support FAT32..  However, I was committed to a full backup/re-install
anyway, as I wanted to change some slice sizes on two drives.

I was NOT able to get the install program to properly mount my FAT32
drive as an MSDOS partition.  However, I was eventually able to install
the BIN dist over FTP, then, WITH working FreeBSD 3.0 booted, I was able
to then mount my IDE FAT32 drive as an MSDOS filesystem using:

mount_msdos /dev/wd0s1 /<mount point>

Then run the sysinstall and install the additional distribution sets,
ports and packages from the existing filesystem.

It still seems like the long way around, but at least I now have the
full, working FreeBSD 3.0 installed, with the ability to freely use my
FAT32 drive!