Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:30:48 -0700
From:      Victoria Welch <vikki@oz.net>
To:        freebsd questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot loader question

Hello All,

  I'm pretty new to FreeBSD and while I have a firewall box up using it
(still trying to get that properly configured for my needs, but that is
another story and I am still working on it :-).

  I'd like to install this on my personal machine.  I am not familiar
enough with all this to know what is used for the equivalent of lilo or
the basic loader.  I'm more than willing to free up a 5G chunk of my
drive, but my two primary partitions are taken up with win98 (only
because I am a flight sim junkie :-) and RedHat 6.1 which I do use and
would rather not delete yet.

  Will whatever fbsd uses for a loader operate out past the 1024 cyl.
limit?  And allow me to boot the linux and w98 partitions?

  I did download the new lilo tonight that will allow one to go past the
1024 cyl. limit but I don't know if I can install FBSD past that.

  Any help, suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated!  If you
would be so gracious as to CC me since I am not subscribed to this list,
again, it would be appreciated.

Thanks & take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K, DoD#-13, SysAdmin SeaStar.org, vikki.oz.net
"Walking on water and developing software to specification are