Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:27:18 +1100
From:      Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: mfi timeouts

Hi,

Sorry about being unclear. They all failed in the same way.

So, these combinations have continuous timeout errors and fail to =
completely boot:

  Plain 9.0-RC1

  9-stable with 1.62 of mfi.c

  9-stable with www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mfi.patch, pci_alloc_msi
  instead of pci_alloc_msix and hw.mfi.msix=3D0

This boots, but gets "mfi0: Cannot allocate interrupt" and there are no =
/dev/mfi* devices:

  9-stable with www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mfi.patch and hw.mfi.msix=3D1=

This seems to work, but I have not put any load on it yet:

  9-stable with www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mfi.patch, pci_alloc_msi
  instead of pci_alloc_msix and hw.mfi.msix=3D1

I see you have a new patch, www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mfi_msi.patch. =
This patch doesn't seem to include the dummy read from your earlier =
patch, or the one in 1.62 of mfi.c. I assume I need to apply the 1.62 =
mfi.c diff to by 9-stable sources as well. Is that correct?

Will test out the new patch.

Thanks,

Jan Mikkelsen

On 15/11/2011, at 3:36 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Monday, November 14, 2011 3:03:42 am Jan Mikkelsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have just tested mfi on a machine that has just arrived. I'm seeing =
the command timeout problem on boot with 9.0-RC1.
>>=20
>> The message is "mfi0: COMMAND <addr> TIMEOUT AFTER 59 seconds", and =
then repeats every 30 seconds (with the time changed, obviously).
>>=20
>> I have tested the 9.0-RC1 ISO, a 9-stable kernel patched with the =
patch from the PR I referenced below (also in FreeBSD cvs in revision =
1.62 of=20
> src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c), and 9-stable kernel with the patch at =
www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/mfi.patch with the 'pci_alloc_msix' call =
changed to=20