Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:53:45 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        michael.j.lewis@db.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple stuff

* michael.j.lewis@db.com <michael.j.lewis@db.com> [000830 06:50] wrote:

> All,
>
> New to freeBSD, so please excuse the simple questions, can anyone help.....
>
> i. Under Linux I can set entries in /etc/inittab to automatically
> start the XServer and have a graphical login, I understand freeBSD
> uses the rc*.conf files, but does anyone know what setting/file
> needs to be changed to have a default graphical login?

Please wrap lines at 70 characters.

See /etc/ttys, there should be a line in there:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off  secure

switch the 'off' to 'on' and kill -1 init.

> ii. General unix. I can write a process that will listen on a
> socket, I'd like to be able to telnet to the process a la sendmail
> (telnet localhost smtp ) , will a telnet client connect to any
> listening socket and just re-route the stin/stdout to/from that
> socket ... or should use the force on the senmail code ... any help
> appreciated.

You might want to look at /usr/ports/net/netcat/ and
/usr/ports/net/netpipes/, they're pretty useful for this
kind of stuff.

best of luck,