Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 2015 19:00:29 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, 'freebsd-arch' <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Retiring in-tree GDB

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 03:51:45PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> This just-won't-die meme that a "functional system" is nothing more
> than a bare kernel and an init binary and everything else comes from
> ports is extra-scary

I think this is an exaggeration.

IMHO it's a legitimate question to ask, "what is a minimal base system".

Note: I (have to) use debian at work.  I was given the task "figure out
what parts of all this mess were installed by what, and which ones we
even need in the first place".  I do not want to go there.  It took me
days to do the forensics, and then script a build-from-scratch mode.

I do think we can ask "how many people need the test suite" and "how
many people need 3 firewalls".

I do not think we can ask "how many people need the base compiler".
Well, if asked, answered: all of them, if we want to keep being
FreeBSD.

mcl