Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:36:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch: Defer bus_config_intr() until bus_alloc_resource()..

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20040603104616.I43856@root.org>
>             Nate Lawson <nate@root.org> writes:
> : With hotplug, we're going to need ways for a separate routine to set
> : resource attributes before bus_alloc_resource() time.  Plus, you yourself
> : are an advocate of a multi-pass probing approach that includes separating
> : resource reservation from allocation.
>
> I don't understand this comment at all.  We already support two
> different hot-plug technologies that allocate resources out of memory,
> i/o and irq space.  This is done by the bus that knows what resources
> the child needs before adding the child to the bus.

I don't have an example handy, but there are tables (SSDT) that can
appear/disappear with device insertion and it would be helpful to be able
to set up any resources described by them before device_attach() and alloc
time.  I'm interested why bus_{get,set}_resource even exist if our plan
all along was to defer all resource parsing to alloc time.

-Nate