Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 22:02:42 +1000 (EST)
From:      Michael Henry <mhenry@cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Ng Kok Leong <klng@psl.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: path

I assume you're using a Bourne-like shell such as BASH.
In this case, you need to "export" your PATH for it to be
visible by your shell.

For example, my .profile looks like:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home/mhenry/bin:.
export PATH
	.
	.
	.

Notice the last entry ".", so the shell will look in the current
directory.

If you are using csh or tcsh, you'll need to set your path in the
.cshrc. Since I don't use either of these shells I can't tell you
much more about it, but look at the man page for your shell.

I hope this helps,

	Michael

 Michael Henry                        aviast AT hons.cs.usyd.edu.au

Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.
	--Bertrand Russell