Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:32:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE init [was RE: DCOP server problem...]

The next time KDE screws up your fonts or starts acting screwy, go into
/tmp and rm -rf all the old DCOP / KDE stuff. That usually fixes it for me
(I used to use a mfs /tmp, but that seems to be broken in -current).

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Michael Lucas wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Check out /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade.  Automatic port & port
> dependency upgrading, fully recursive.
>
> Took me about thirty minutes to set up.  My desktop is three years old
> and has been manually upgraded, patched, etc, repeatedly.  And
> portupgrade upgraded every port to the latest version, cleaned up all
> sorts of old crap, etc.  Highly recommended.
>
> Tutorial coming to onlamp.com RSN (I believe later this month).
>
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:18:09PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >
> > :
> > :Hello all,
> > :   I have seen quite a few posts in here about problems with KDE.  I personally
> > :still have the problem that KDE will show its splash screen, get to
> > :"initializing peripherals" and just sit there.  I have noticed a few PR's,
> > :etc., and KDE's bug database had at least on message claiming this to be a
> > :problem with FreeBSD's threads.  I have gone so far as to remove every port
> > :that KDE depends on (except X) and rebuilt through the ports, but I just
> > :haven't had any luck.  I am running Xfree86 3.3.6 (built from ports) over a
> > :year ago, and KDE2 cvsuped many times, but the latest has been 7 days ago.  Any
> > :known workarounds/fixes would be most appreciated.
> > :
> > :regards,
> > :Galen Sampson
> >
> >     I'm having weird problems with kde2 as well.. it keeps screwing up
> >     the fonts.  It forgets about font families, changes my defaults, and
> >     does all sorts of other nasty things.
> >
> >     I noticed that when I did a 'make' in the port for kde2, that it didn't
> >     bother updating older kde2-related libraries that were already installed
> >     but out of date, so it was running the kde2 desktop binaries against
> >     older shared libraries.  It took a while to go through all the ports
> >     and deinstall them and now I am rebuilding the whole thing from scratch
> >     again.  Maybe it will work better with all the shared libs synced up.
> >
> >     I've actually noticed this with ports before... there needs to be a
> >     make target to tell ports to upgrade everything that is out of date or
> >     something like that.  I dunno.
> >
> > 						-Matt

          Wesley N Morgan                       _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
          morganw@chemikals.org                     _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
          FreeBSD: The Power To Serve                  _ |___/___/___/
          6bone: 3ffe:1ce3:7::b4ff:fe53:c297