Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:25:04 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   TODO items for 5.3R

----Security_Multipart(Wed_Aug_18_00_25_04_2004_580)--

Hi all,

 As you know, src/ tree is now frozen and we are working
 for making 5.3R as good as we can.  Here are our TODO items
 for doc for the moment:

 - sound(4) related manual pages

   The snd(4) and pcm(4) drivers has been renamed but their
   manual pages are still old.  Probably sound(4) have to be added
   and pcm(4), csa(4), gusc(4), sbc(4), and uaudio(4) should be
   revised.  Other manual pages which refer to pcm(4) (if any)
   should possibly be revised, too.  In addition, we need to
   update section of the supported card.

   In FDP docs, pcm(4) appears in books/handbook/multimedia,
   books/faq/book.sgml, and so on.  So, some sort of additional
   explanation and rewrite are needed.  blackend@ is now working
   on rewriting sections of sound card and video playback in
   books/handbook/multimedia.

 - Early Adopter's Guide

   Xin LI pointed out that FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE is the first
   stable release on 5.X and it is (hopefully) not for early
   adopters.  Early Adopter's Guide is still useful, but
   contains a bit old information.  I suggest to rewrite
   some parts of it and publish it as "4.X to 5.X Migration Guide",
   which focuses difference between 4.X and 5.X.

 - Hardware Notes

   simon@ recently committed a script for automatically
   generated hardware notes, and he is working on trimming
   entries in the old hardware notes and adding them into
   foo(4) manual pages.  This should be finished as much as
   we can.

 - Installation Notes

   Some parts are outdated.  doc/70485 has been committed, but more
   work is needed to reflect the realities.  bmah@ pointed out
   that we should have "quick-start" installation guide for
   each platform instead of the current ones because they become
   too long and difficult to be maintained.

 - "5.X" will be -STABLE

   We think 5.X is the mainstream now, so sentences like "if you are
   using 5.X..." have to be removed, and "if you are using 4.X..." should
   be added instead.  And although I am not sure if sections for
   Kerberos 4 and Vinum are reasonably applicable to 5.X, they
   should possibly be revised.

 - X.org

   The handbook includes a section "The X Window System," but this is
   mainly for XFree86.  Although the difference is not so large from the
   point of view of configuration, we should mention both of X.org and
   XFree86.

 - rc.d scripts

   Ch.11.4 and 11.5 of the handbook must be updated to mention
   the new rc.d scripts and some ports use /etc/rc.conf for their
   configuration.

 - kernel configuration section and IPsec section

   Ch.8 and Ch.14.10 of the handbook must be updated since some
   parts are outdated.

 Yes, I know some PRs have already been submitted for these items,
 but I would like to clarify what we have to do here.  I am looking into
 the PR database and sorting them now.

 Comments?  If you have other additional items and/or comments,
 please let me know.

 Anyway, we need more of volunteers to work on them.  If you are
 interested, please submit your patch/suggestion to doc@FreeBSD.org
 via send-pr.  Thanks.