Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:08:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric I. Arnoth" <earnoth@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Joe Abley wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 08:25:52PM -0800, David Kulp wrote:
> > I was thinking of setting up a simple web page listing success or
> > failure with FreeBSD on different laptops.  I know there's the PAO
> > list, but the last time I checked it hadn't been updated lately, and
> > I'm also interested in running FBSD without PAO -- which typically
> > isn't needed.
> >
> > I know my biggest concern 1 1/2 yrs ago when buying my last laptop was
> > whether I could get FBSD running, if I could use PCMCIA ethernet cards
> > on a cardbus machine, etc.
> >
> > Am I duplicating effort here?  Good idea? Bad?
>
> Good :)
I would agree.  I just got a new laptop three weeks ago, and had to spend
considerable time researching to make sure I didn't make the same mistake
as when I bought my previous laptop, a Compaq (ick!).  I wish a more
up-to-date site like you want to make had been available when I needed to
make my choice.  What I ended up doing was looking at the old PAO list and
saying, "Hm, there's a lot of Toshibas listed here, that *should* be
okay".  I also harassed this list (as many of you may recall) with
excellent responses for which I am very thankful.  In fact, here's your
first entry:

Toshiba Satellite 4010CDS
User:  Eric I. Arnoth
Email:  earnoth@udel.edu
Version FreeBSD installed:  3.1 Release
Date installed:  February 12, 1999
Problems encountered:  none (God bless Toshiba :)
Notes:  Split hard-drive to retain pre-installed Windows98 (not by
choice, who said MS wasn't a monopoly?) using FIPS.  Install completed
within 30 minutes via 10BaseT line, installed all 150+ ports used in
previous system over the course of 3 hours.  XFree86 needed to be
configured via xsetup, after some tinkering, the proper 800x600 display
was set.  Kernel was reconfigured to support sound, apm, pccards and
additional swap space.  Wmmixer doesn't seem to work right (config issues?),
and the CD will not open while empty when wmcdplay is running, but the
drive has a button to over-ride software locks.  Hot plugging *seems* to
work, but there appear to be some issues at present when X is running.
Waiting for IR support.  (Toshiba released the specs! :)  Battery life is
excellent.