Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:29:11 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@McKusick.COM>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, dillon@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quintuple softupdates panic in -stable

	From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
	Subject: quintuple softupdates panic in -stable
	To: stable@FreeBSD.ORG
	Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:51:10 -0700 (MST)
	Cc: mckusick@mckusick.com, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG

	I just got this panic on a very heavily loaded -stable
	server.  It is RELENG_3 as of about March 10th.

	I noticed that Kirk checked in some softupdates bug fixes
	on March 1st/2nd, but they didn't go into RELENG_3.  I'm
	not sure if this panic would be fixed by those changes.

	I wasn't able to compile a kernel with debugging symbols
	that would correspond to the one that was running on the
	machine in question, so there are no symbols.  Sorry.

	Ken
	--
	Kenneth Merry
	ken@plutotech.com

	panic: allocdirect_check: old 0 != new 397448 || lbn 12 >= 12

I have never gotten this panic before. The fixes that I put in in
early March would probably not have prevented it (though unless I
knew what did cause this panic, I can't say that with complete
assurance). At any rate, it would be very useful if you could
reproducce this panic with a symbolled kernel. For starters, I
would like to know the contents of oldadp and newadp (the second
and third parameters to allocdirect_merge). It would also be
useful to see the elments on the list headed by adphead (the
first parameter to allocdirect_merge). The follow-on panics are
the usual trash that crops up when trying to sync the filesystem
while in the middle of a soft updates panic.

	Kirk McKusick