Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:14:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is interested in /dev/midi and /dev/synth ?

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just be a little patient. Luigi is coming up to speed and to be honest
> he needs a hand to help him solve some of the technical issues.
>
> Luigi's driver is sufficiently different that one can not just rip
> code out of the linux sound driver and drop in his driver and
> Randall I expect for you to  understand this because you have
> cursory knowledge of both sound drivers.
>
> On the down side , if we manage to burn him up then it seems to me
> that the next alternative for full fledge support is the OSS driver.

Thanks Amancio for the support.

I am perfectly comfortable if people decides to support OSS, guspnp,
or write some other sound driver, and I will try to do my best to
help them in their work.

The main reason I wrote my own audio driver was not to impose a
different one, just to solve a problem I had in a way that could
be possibly useful to others. Since I have solved my problems,
learned quite something, and have had several other people happily
using my driver, I am quite satisfied with what I have done so far.

Due to other work etc. I can only dedicate limited time (much less
than during the past summer) to the support of new features, and
prefer to concentrate on other aspects such as supporting more
cards, bug fixes etc.  Besides there are some application areas
where I don't have enough knowledge to do a good job and definitely
need help.

	Cheers
	Luigi