Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:49:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        andrew <andrew@soc.lg.gov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID Arrays

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, andrew wrote:
>  Can I merge many FreeBSD partitions on different disks in one big
> partition? (like NetWare volumes). Please, if somebody know, help me.
> I have FreeBSD 3.2 installed.

	I don't know how NetWare does it, but three things come to mind.

	One is a hardware controlled RAID array.  Check the handbook's
hardware listing (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html#INSTALL-HW)
for a list of supported SCSI RAID cards.

	Another idea is ccd.  Check "man 4 ccd" for details about it.  If
I recall correctly, you'll have to compile the ccd driver into the kernel
and then do a bunch of configuring.  This should let you make several
partitions become one continuous disk.  (In other words, two 1GB partions
become a 2GB virtual partion.)

	The third idea is vinum.  Check "man 8 vinum" for details about
that.  Again, I think that you need to compile it into the kernel.  The
main benefit of vinum over ccd is that it allows configurations which act
like software controlled RAID-5 arrays.  Support for vinum (especially its
RAID-5) is supposed to be much better in FreeBSD 3.4 than in 3.2.  If you
go this route, look into using cvsup to upgrade your installation.  (I've
used this to go from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8 and 3.0 to 3.2 in the past without any
real problems.  Going from 2.2.8 to 3.0 turned out to be impossible at my
skill level, though.  Be careful to read everything and make backups
before using cvsup!)

						Good luck,
						Jaime