Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:12:58 -0500
From:      Chance Daryl SrA AMC CSS/SAS <DARYL.CHANCE@SCOTT.AF.MIL>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Possible oversight?

> > I installed the kernel source for FreeBSD 4.0 this weekend and
> > started commenting stuff out that I wouldn't need.  I don't have
> > a CDRom in the box I was installing this on, so I commented out
> > all the CDRom devices.
> [...]
> > unable to find file miibus.h (or something close to that.).
>  I looked
> > in my config file and found that it was a CDRom device that I had
> > commented out.
>
> I don't know where you get the idea that "miibus" refers to a CD
> ROM device. IIRC, "MII" stands for media-independent interface.
> Anyway, it's required for several types of ethernet adapters--in
> fact just the ones it's listed with in GENERIC--and has nothing
> whatsoever to do with CD drives. There is nothing in GENERIC that
> would suggest such a connection.

Ok, sorry, what I meant to say was that it was listed under the CD-Rom
devices IIRC.  Either way, my question was, should it not be marked with
(required) if it fubars the kernel compile (IE: causes it not to build)?

Actually, checking here:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT/

I see that it's listed as a network and not a cdrom device (for
lack of a better word).  But I also see that they (the maintainers
of the source) have broken it off into it's own.

# MII bus support is required for some PCI 10/100 ethernet NICs,
# namely those which use MII-compliant transceivers or implement
# tranceiver control interfaces that operate like an MII. Adding
# "device miibus0" to the kernel config pulls in support for
# the generic miibus API and all of the PHY drivers, including a
# generic one for PHYs that aren't specifically handled by an
# individual driver.
device		miibus

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code
<- SrA Daryl Chance  - A programmer is someone who solves a    ->
<- USAF AMC CSS/SASR - problem you didn't know you had in a    ->
<- RAD Programmer    - way you don't understand.               ->
<- (618) 256-5225    -                - ?????                  ->