Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2022 22:10:51 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME discussions

On Sun, 2022-10-30 at 21:23 +0100, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> If it cannot let me quickly search over few thousands of posts,
> useless

Hi,

since the users aren't allowed to communicate as much as they need to
do, because there's a limit and if a user does reach the limit, the user
needs to take a rest for 1 day and since a topic gets automagically
closed, if there isn't a reply within 14 days, the amount of posts will
not increase that much anymore. Most likely Discourse has got a search
engine, but from the users who gave Discourse a chance, I was probably
the first one who deleted his account, while I was still a user at level
0. A few subscribers from a MUA mailing list reached level 1, before
they stopped testing Discourse, too.

> If it does not work when the server is down

By disabling (no typo, you need to disable it, to get it) Discourse's
mailing list option and "subscribing" to a tag, it provides a mailing
list option. You then get multipart mails with a thread, but a broken
thread tree, removed whitespaces and HTML images or some kind of remote
contend. I neither loaded this crap, nor did I take a look at the
message source, probably it were images of the user's avatar and/or
pictures of the earned badges. Since whitespaces are removed, the plain
text formatting is broken.

However, if the GNOME foundation would continue the lists hosted at
gnome.org, I wouldn't have found a replacement for a GTK app I used a
lot, but it became an annoyance, since GTK replaced unambiguous single
words with misleading pictograms. FWIW I replaced Meld by mc,
https://lists.midnight-commander.org/pipermail/mc/2022-October/005528.html =
.

Regards,
Ralf