Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:43:10 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd and wu-ftpd not disconnecting users.

I am sorry if this message sounds like I am missing something obvious,
but I am in a bit of a jam and I am attempting to find out what the
problem might be.  I have a client who is trying to upload a few files
 into his homedirectory using ftp.  I am running freebsd 2.2.5-release
along with the wu-ftpd-2.4.2-beta-15 port.  I have noticed a few strange
things happening here.  First, often times, he is unable to complete an
upload to the server if the file is over a meg in size.  However, when I
use my ftp client on win95 and try and upload large files to the same
server, it works without a hitch.  My huntch is that it is on his isp's
end that he can't always complete ftp uploads, when I can always
complete them?
Also, wu-ftpd never disconnects the user from his ftpd session.  For
example, he receives an error on his end saying that the download could
not be completed, so he logs back into the server to try again.  Now,
when I do a ps aux on the server, there are two of the same account
logged in both using ftpd.  Next, he receives the unable to complete
download error, so he logs back into try again.  Now, there are three
logins of the same account on the server when I do a ps aux.
Shouldn't the server be disconnecting him?
Also, the xferlog only logs successful transfers, and I can't seem to
find any errors of aborted uploads or anything like that.
Yeah, I know, all of this stuff is probably in the handbook, faqs, man
pages, and I am looking through whatever I can get my hands on. :)
However, if anyone has answers to these questions, or could at least
point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.
Jeremy