Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:28:57 -0500
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RC file DAMAGED OR HACKED?

Hello all.

I received a call from a friend that like me is also learning FreeBSD. He
has version 4.2 and was working without problems. He decided to rester his
machine doing the normal following command:

	shutdown -r now

after checking memory and that stuff the machine is sending this messages:

Mounting root from ufs /dev/ad0s1a
reserved: not found
without: not found
conditions: not found
above: not found
disclaimer: not found
copyright: not found
in: not found
distributions: not found
AS: not found
LIMITED: not found
PARTICULAR: not found
CONTRIBUTORS: not found
EXEMPLARY: not found
PROCUREMENT: not found

/etc/rc 16: Syntax error: ")" unexpected

Enter full pathname or shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

He bring his machine to my office and together we are trying to fix it but
we do not have any idea why this happened and how to solve it. (sorry but
we are newbies and I decided to ask the list). We can install again without
problems but we really would like to learn how to fix this and avoid , if
possible similar problems in the future.
One think we notices when we did the command # ls -l rc* is that the date
of the file rc is changed as weel as the file rc.conf.
This machine was serving web pages only on a plain installation of Apache
and it is running a couple of CGIs. We would like to have the machine
working again and download some Apache log files in the machine before
formatting .
Any one can help us and tell us what to do?

Thanks in advance,

JB