Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 97 00:41:17 -0400
From:      John Todd <jtodd@greyfox.digex.net>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Comments on the "ports" project

Since I don't really know of the "general" list to send this, I'll send it
to you in the hopes that you can pass it along to the appropriate persons.

The "ports" project wins MAJOR points in making UNIX an environment that
gives me less stress.  The ability to essentially "point and click" on a
package is AMAZING.  I'm fairly proficient in getting and installing packages
by myself, but the pain-in-the-ass value is very high, esp. when moving to a
new platform, as my current situation is with BSD.  Finding the
"authoratative" site, finding the patches, compiling the stuff, debugging,
blah blah blah.  Your stuff makes that short work, but I can still get into
the code and dig around if I want to.  Thanks for the effort!  You're making
the transition go far more painlessly than I ever imagined.

JT

---
John Todd - Director, Business Connectivity Technical Support
jtodd@digex.net - 301-847-5167 (direct) - 301-847-5082 (fax)
24-hour Support Line - 301-847-5200
DIGEX, Inc.