Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:14:01 +0200
From:      Erik de Zeeuw <arkel@phear.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail server questions ( long post, you've been warned :)

Hi to all FreeBSD users,

I'm once again asking for help on the freebsd-questions precious
list :)

This is a long post, and I apology for this. Feel free to stop
reading and flame me if you don't want to hear about me and
my questions :)

I'm setting up a mail server. For now, it just has to be a
small one, for ~50 users, but it will soon be pretty busy,
with a lot more users ( ~200 minimum, but an explosion is
possible if we decide to give a free e-mail to each of our
customers :).

Of course, those users are roaming ones, thus adding complexity
in setting up the mail server for relaying :)

On the paper, and on my dreams, the users would be able to
read their messages with imap, through an encrypted imap login.
Of course the server should enable smtp relaying, but only
for those users. This can be done with SMTP-authentification
( users giving login/password before sending messages ), in which
case that should be encrypted. As not all clients supports
smtp-authentication and ssl/tls encryption, this can also be done
with pop-before-smtp. This means having a daemon look at syslog for
successfull pop/imap logging, and managing a table with those
ip so that the smtp server could look if it matches the
ips requesting smtp relay.

Of course, the users shouldn't be some "real" users on
the server, just virtual mail-only users.

And of course once again, these users would be very happy to
benefits from a web based mail reading/sending, with of course
SSL encryption on this.

I know this sounds like impossible, but I searched to get some
tools to do all of the above, and I've found these ones :

- PostFix, http://www.postfix.org. It's a "young" software, but it has
some nice features, and some more interesting features are coming.

PostFix takes place of Sendmail. It has a nice patch to do SMTP
authentication ( users send a login/password to enable relaying
on the server, which does not relay anything without l/p ). And
it has another nice patch to do SSL/TLS encryption. So Postfix will
soon be able to use encrypted smtp-authentification for users
to be able to get their messages relayed, as soon as both patches
works together :)

The pop-before-smtp can be done with Postfix. this requires some
modification both in postfix source, and in imap server source,
but this can be done. I found DRAC (http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca),
and someone pointed me WHOSON (hhtp://www.average.org), but there
is also some scripts and a patch to Postfix that can do that.

- Cyrus IMAP (http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/). I didn't succeed
for now in making this work as I want to ( making users only known
from the imap server ). Cyrus seems to have some nice features,
although I've some troubles to understand how their SASL library work :)

imap-uw is an alternative, but it is not as secure as Cyrus, although
it works out of the tarball. But it lacks the virtual users stuff
I would like.

Both of the imap servers have been reported to work with
ssl encryption, using tools such as
SSLwrap (http://www.rickk.com/sslwrap) or
STunnel (http://mike.daewoo.com.pl/computer/stunnel).
make an encrypted tunnel between the server and the client.

- For the webmail, a recent edition of www.daemonnews.org had
an article called "A Webmail solution using IMP", which I found
very instructive, so i downloaded that IMP software from
http://www.horde.org/imp/. That sounds good and this will be
my first try with setting up webmail.

So at the end, my dream have a little taste of reality, but leads
to some question to the gurus out there :))

If you already configured one or more things that I talk about,
I would be glad to hear from you. May be there's some other tools,
or simply some other way to do what i want, and that i would be glad
to know about.

All of this might not be necessary, and I would also be glad to
hear about other simpler solutions to make things approaching
what I describe. After all, sendmail+pop is not so bad ;)

So thanks for reading this loong post, and feel free to give me
the clues you have, or simply to flame me back for writing so
much ! :)

The last thing is that as I'm moving from an e-mail to another,
I stopped my subscription to this list, so it would be nice to
make a CC to me if you reply to the list. Thanks.

Erik de Zeeuw,

arkel@phear.org
erik.dezeeuw@wanadoo.fr