Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:26:56 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

[ user-land ppp dropping the routes ]
> .... it's failing to
> redial although I don't see how ppp would even get a chance to see the
> packet if the kernel doesn't know to send the packet out through tun0.
>
> Whatever the cause, dial-on-demand is broken and there's at least two
> of us seeing the problem.

Again, if you want to send me your configuration files I'll try and help
out.

> Is anyone else having any problems, the common factor between me and this
> other person is we both use Demon as our ISP.

It shouldn't make any difference since the dial-on-demand is all done at
the client side.

> > Hmm, I didn't have any problems with it working when I tested it,
> > although I wasn't happy with it locking up at times and dropping the
> > connection.  Since I needed something that worked 'all' the time, I am
> > now using kernel ppp, and I've not had any problems.  Someone (Mike
>
> Well, I switched from kernel ppp to user-land ppp for similar reasons :-)
> That was back in 2.0 days though so I guess kernel ppp is a lot better now.
> Does it do dial-on-demand?

It does is you put it into a tight loop. :)

/etc/ppp/ppp0/Start
--------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# PPP Auto-Dialer script
#
# Note:
#  Yyou *MUST* use -detach mode or else the pppd process will fork
#  into the background and you will get hundreds of pppd processes trying
#  to connect to the remote site.  The current behavior causes the line to
#  re-dial when pppd fails, so it acts like a auto-dialer.
#
PHONE=1234567
USER=Puser
PASSWORD=secret
DEVICE=cuaa0

while `true`; do
    /usr/sbin/pppd sri.MT.net:micgate -detach \
        connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/ppp0/chat' $DEVICE 115200
    # If we fail, wait a little while for the line to settle down
    sleep 15
done
--------------------

/etc/start_if.ppp0
# Starting up ppp link
echo "STARTING PPP connection to the World"
/etc/ppp/ppp0/Start &

This works quite well for us, although it does require that we uncomment
modem lines in /etc/rc.serial to setup line 0, and also modify the speed
to 115200.

Nate