Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2020 07:49:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Peter_Rap=C4=8Dan?= <peter.rapcan@savba.sk>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do I tell gptzfsboot NOT to analyze other disks (or specify which disks to analyze)?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:42 AM Peter Rap=C4=8Dan <peter.rapcan@savba.sk> w=
rote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to tell gptzfsboot NOT to analyze other disks (or specify
> which disks to analyze)? (My system is on PATA disk(s) while the data dis=
ks
> are SATA, hence there is no use to probe the SATA disks to search for a
> bootable system).
>
> I am asking this to get around the following problem (bug?) I encountered
> (tried both freeBSD 12.1 and freeNAS [11.2-U4 though 11.3-RC2]):
> When booting, I get "gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number" errors
> in the phase when gptzfsboot is probing my data HDDs (on which there is n=
> bootloader, nor system, the drives can be even empty, with or without a
> partition table).
> The system boots eventually but the boot takes cca N x 7 minutes, where N
> is the number of data disks gptzfsboot is trying to analyze (there are
> several gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number lines per disk and ea=
ch
> takes some time to appear).

Short of hacking the code, there's really no way to do this. It's a feature
that it finds all the disks in the pool so we can boot off zraid.

> Note: installer CD boots the installer system just fine. Also, once the
> system is installed, and the system has booted from HDD (this takes ~30
> minutes with multiple  gptzfsboot: error 128 lba some_block_number for ea=
ch
> disk) the system works just fine, including the very same data disks that
> "produce" the errors.
>
> Anyway, should this be reported as a bug?

You should report this as a feature request. It's not a bug, per se,
because we need to look for multiple drives in many cases. If you want it
to only look at the one disk that the boot loader was loaded from, that
would be your ask.

The other ask is to be more tolerant of this situation. A 7 minute lag to
probe a single drive is 7 minutes too long... That's clearly some kind of
bug, but without poking at your system in more detail, it's hard to know
for sure.

Warner