Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:14:20 -0500
From:      Ogre Stormbringer <ogre@hellshalfacre.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: su: Sorry

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:10:45PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Ogre Stormbringer <ogre@iglou.com> writes:
> > I've got a new install of FreeBSD 5.2.1 (installed from 5.1
> > cds, cvsup'ed to 5.2.1) with XFree86-4.3.0.  When I start X, open
> > a terminal (tried it so far on aterm, eterm, and xterm) and try
> > to "su -", I get: [...]
>
> Does the same thing happen on the console?

On the console all was fine.

Following llewelly@xmission.com's advice, I changed the
password to something simpler than it had been, and it worked.

After playing a bit further, I managed to track it down to the
"(" in the password - if I used the console to set the
password to something with "(" in it, I couldn't su - from X.
If I used a terminal in X to set the same password, everything
was fine.

(The original password had also had a "*" in it, but a
password with that but no "(" worked fine.  I didn't check to
see if other characters caused similar problems.)

Thanks for the response,
Kyle
--
"Most people learn from their past mistakes and in future lives go on
to grow into better people.  Others, who don't, become ogres."