Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 20:22:00 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [FreeBSD]" <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Vladislav <reason@shadow.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q]boot manager, cannot install

Vladislav wrote:

[...]

> I cannot figure how to get FreeBSD bootmanager installed
> on the disk1.  When using /stand/sysinstall
> I select custom and then go to the Partioning screen.
> There I select disk1 and see that
> blocks 0-63 are free (then I ext2fs and then linux swap)
> I select the unused partion, hit 'C' create, it asks me
> whether want the whole 64 sectors allocated for FreeBSD (file system type 165)
> I say yes, but then when I see the list of partions there, it still says
> 0-63 unused!
>
> I tried to boot from the floppy, still the same problem.
> May be there is a problem with my BIOS reporting disk geometry?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
> Vladislav

The first 64 blocks will always be reserved.

FreeBSD uses the boot sector for its default boot manager.  So, if
you're going the sysinstall route, you do not (nor should you) create a
small FreeBSD partition.  Instead, when asked at the FDISK prompt, Check
[X] your first drive, and select the BootMgr option (default, if I
remember correctly).

** CAUTION ** (a.k.a. disclaimer of respondent ignorance):

NOTE!  I'm not a Linux user, so I'm not the person to ask about whether
using this setup with Lilo (the LInux boot LOader) is a good idea.  For
all I know, it may make your Linux unbootable.  IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN..
Lilo lives in an ext2 partition (by itself or with your root fs), and
should behave with the FreeBSD boot manager, as the FreeBSD manager
simply tries to start an OS on a given drive/partition.  Somebody may
correct me on this, as I HAVE NOT ever run Linux with FreeBSD.  I can't
say whether Lilo (partially) populates the boot sector or not, so you're
on your own with this one :-)

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--